-
July 2nd, 2003, 08:28 AM
#1
Inactive Member
i kind of want to know if anyone is running somthing than stock and a b16 in there cars?
-
July 2nd, 2003, 06:54 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Do you know if anyone is running a b18? I have yet to here of anyone doing it? I have a Friend trying to sell me a h23 but it does not have a ECU or Trani but he only wants 150 for it. I was kind of thinking about getting it but i dont know.
-
July 2nd, 2003, 09:21 PM
#3
Inactive Member
H23A1 2.3L DOHC (V6) 150hp, out of an Accord '98-'99 or '96-'99 Acura CL, you'd have to get a trans (auto only) ECU, get made special axles to fit, make your own motor mounts, wiring, etc. Bad choice I'd say. But like I said before if you have 'bags' of money you can do anything, your choice.
Geo
President
Team Sol of Washington
-
July 3rd, 2003, 12:49 AM
#4
Inactive Member
yeah i know if only i had those Bags of money.
what about getting a b18? how do those run when looking at a b16?
-
July 3rd, 2003, 03:22 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I've seen B16's 160hp, Intrega LS (B18) 140hp, GSR (B18C1) 170hp and Type R (B18C5) 190hp stuffed in there along with B20's, non VTEC (140hp) and with VTEC b16, b18 VTEC head (?) (both are DOHC) and H22's 195hp (Prelude). The latest I heard is being worked on by HASport is an RSX motor in/for earlier Civic models. Money is the only thing that would hold you back , throw enough money out and anything is possible. The B series blocks would be the easiest to do. With the H22 handling becomes a problem because of the weight of the block, the B blocks well they come stock in the sol via the B16. So it comes down to how much you have to spend and go from there. Do a search on Honda engine swaps and you should find a lot of info to get you started for more.
Geo
President
Team Sol of Washington

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 03, 2003 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Geo VP ]</font>
-
July 3rd, 2003, 05:38 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Geo, you might wanna double check your engine codes there. The H23 is the DOHC non-VTEC 2.3L 4-cyl. found in the base model Prelude. It is rated at 160hp, and a good amount of torque (I don't know the exact number). It is no more difficult to install in an EG chassis than an H22.
Robert, the first thing to decide upon is your budget. Once you know that, you can research the best options. So what is your budget? That will determine everything.
BTW, $150 for an H23 shortblock isn't bad at all. What year is it? Mileage? An option: Buy the H23, sell the head. Buy an H22 head and JDM LSD tranny. ECUs aren't that expensive. That would be a monster of an engine...
-
July 3rd, 2003, 05:41 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Forgot to mention B18s.
There are three different B18s, the B18B, B18C1, and B18C5. The C5, or ITR engine, is the best of the bunch, but it is very expensive. A B18C1 is, in my opinion, the next best engine swap. B18Bs are worse engines than a B16, but depending on where you buy them, can be rather easy on the wallet.
Again, it all depends on your budget. FWIW, a Sol with a B18B will lose to a car with a B16, however the B18Cs own everything else, except for the H22.
-
July 4th, 2003, 03:16 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Your right David it is a 4 cyl not a v6 (thanks for keeping me straight), I did get the size right, I was looking at two engine codes right next to each other. The book I looked at listed it at 150 hp not 160 hp (maybe a Prelude only rating) and yes it was used in the Preludes (didn't list the years used for the Prelude in the book I have). I would still use a H22 over using the H23, more power for the dollar, H Blocks are heavier then a B block by around 75 lbs, all over the front of the axles, not so nice for handling.
Geo
President
Team Sol of Washington
-
July 5th, 2003, 06:16 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Well I'm looking for somthing that is still kind of cheep but be better than a b16. I know a few people that have h22's but they have been having some problems with them. Maybe it is becasue they can't drive that well or somthing. The one thing i am looking for is somthing that will turbo easy. that is why i was asking what people have done.
-
July 9th, 2003, 12:09 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Any engine can be turbocharged as long as you have the money.
The most popular engine for boost is the B18B, as it is farily cheap to pick up, is 1.8L, and is non-VTEC. Which isn't to say that VTEC is necessarily bad for a turbo...but some people consider the possibility of blow-by as a waste. In my opinion, the engine that's being turboed matters less than the tuning device. That's where the power is to be had. Any engine can make good numbers provided that you tune it well. That is the key.
FYI, a B16 and B18B are about on the same level. The 1.8L has bigger displacement, but the 1.6L flows a lot more air. If I were you, I'd look for a B20B/Z (CRV engine) to turbocharge. I've seen people get really nice numbers out of those, and they can be had for pretty cheap also (depending on where you buy it from).
What kind of problems are the H22 guys having?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks